What do you need?

To get a passport for a child, you need to have the following:

  • Two colour passport photos (they want a photo with the child not smiling but do accept with smiles)
  • Mother’s I.D
  • Father’s I.D
  • Birth Certificate of child
  • Application form which you get at the Department of Home Affairs
  • A black pen
  • Mother, Father and child must be there in person when applying for the passport

The two most important things, besides the above are the following:

  1. Go early in the morning
  2. Take toys

If one of you can’t  make it to the Department of Home Affairs, whom ever can’t make it will have to write a letter stating their name, I.D number, and saying that they give xyz permission to get a passport for their child on their behalf and state why they could not make it. Both the letter and a copy of their I.D has to be certified by the SAPS and handed in by the person doing the application. The forms for the application you can get at the Department of Home Affairs and they do not allow you to leave with the forms. I have seen that you can get it off their website but it does not look the same as the form that you get at there.

How much does it cost?

At present, the prices are as follows but please note that they are subject to change:

Re-issue of abridged birth certificate                               R20

Unabridged birth certificate                                               R75

Child Passport                                                                       R400

What is the difference between an Unabridged birth certificate and an Abridged birth certificate?

An Abridged birth certificate that you get when your child is born and this contains only the mothers name and ID numbers and does not mention the father. An Unabridged birth certificate is contains details of both the mother and father and their I.D Details. The main reason to have the Unabridged birth certificate is that for many foreign countries, it is a visa requirement if you plan to travel overseas. They want to see who the parents are and also it is to protect the child should there be any custody battles. For example, if you want to take your child overseas without the other parent, you have to get a certified letter and copy of their I.D/passport from the other parent that they give permission for you to take the child out of the country. The Unabridged birth certificate can take 6 to 8 weeks to do so it is best to get it as soon as possible, even if you don’t have plans to travel as you never know when a good special will come about!

Get one, you never know when you are going to need it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge